At the weekend, after the huge reaction to Bishop Michael’s sermon at the Royal Wedding, a friend and I put together this list of suggestions for anyone who heard his message and thought: ‘I’d go to church if sermons were like that’ or maybe wanted to find out a bit more about this redemptive love of God, that he was talking about…so here they are – in order of ease!
1) Follow some Christians on Twitter/Social media and have a read of what they have to say eg: Bishop Curry / Stormzy / Rev Kate Bottley / Tim Vine Justin Bieber – depending on your preference 😉
2) Ask a friend who you know goes to church, or someone you have seen online to tell you some more – they’d love to chat to you, or maybe even take you to church with them.
3) Try praying – I mean, what harm can it do?! Just a simple: ‘God are you there?’ can be all you need sometimes. If that’s a bit daunting, check out: www.trypraying.co.uk
4) Read the story of a Christian – I’d recommend ‘The Heavenly Man’ / ‘The Cross and the Switchblade’ / The Vicar of Bagdad Canon Andrew White / Brother Andrew – all are inspiring and real stories…
5) Listen to some decent songs with a Christian message & let them speak to you – Stormzy – Blinded by your grace / Resurrection Day by Rend Collective / anything by Hillsong or Matt Redman
6) Check out some decent Christian/ preachers/ Church Podcasts. For example – HTB Church, Hillsong and I love Priscilla Shirer
7) Go the whole hog and read the bible! Start with one of the gospels – maybe start with Mark (second book of the New Testament).
8) Try reading the whole bible – there’s a great app called Bible In One Year which takes you through it with readings (or you can listen) each day & some explanation too.
9) Go to church! I love the Church of England but to be honest just find a good one! You can use: www.achurchnearyou.com to find your local parish church for example. Go along and tell your Vicar you want to know more. And on that – check out the church website first or their social media and it will help you find one that will suit you.
10) Check out http://alpha.org and sign up to an Alpha course near you. Go as you are, ask all the questions you want, no holds barred and find out what you believe.
UKViewerMay 21, 2018 at 3:30 pm
I missed the wedding as I was at the Cathedral for the licensing of this years cohort of LLM’s all 13 of them, some of whom I have shared modules with, some of whom have been on placement with us.
But I downloaded and read the sermon and have it saved for future reference, about how to deliver Love in a sermon.
I wonder what would happen is some of our Bishops were preachers with his skills?
JulesMay 21, 2018 at 4:59 pm
hopefully some of them are!